Fangirl-isms (ﾉ◕ヮ◕)ﾉ*:･ﾟ✧ ”
YEEES! This will be my little corner for music, anekdotes, spontanious fangirling, fandom shit, etc etc. WHEE!
YURI !!! ON ICE - History has been made.
I HAVE STRONG FEELINGS.
ABOUT THIS SHOW. OK?
It's just... it was made with so much LOVE for the premise/characters/details and gives the viewers so much more than just an ambitious sports anime with fanservice sprinkled in.
A lot of the fans actually call the show the "Anime that saved 2016" - and I totally agree. After all that has happened this year (famous people suddenly dying, political chaos throughout the world - Brexit anyone - and last but not least the devastating election in the US) we DESERVED something happy, beautiful and heartfelt.
AND BY GOD THAT IS WHAT WE GOT.
Why is Yuri!!! On Ice so good?
- because all (!) the characters are relatable, lovable and by no means flawless. We get to see what anxiety and self esteem issues (Yuuri), a changing body as you grow older (Yurio) or losing your muse (Viktor) can do to athletes in a sport as demanding as figure skating. And how important it is to have a supporting social community to catch you (Yuuri and all the people from Hasetsu + Phitchit!!), new people welcoming you with open arms (Viktor and the Katsuki family) and finding a friend (Yurio and Otabek, YAY!) no matter how long it takes to get there.
- because it deals with the issue of time in a realistic way. Sports - and skating in particular - are always a race against time. At the beginning of the show Yuuri is 23 and already thinking about retiring. Even when Viktor offers to coach him for the Grand Prix Final, the overshadowing theme is always that this will be Yuuri's "last season", no matter if he wins the GPF or not. And what then?
- because instead of endless queerbaiting, this sports anime WENT FOR IT - and executed it perfectly. There is not much to say here. Where it was mostly fan service in the beginning, it slowly became clearer and clearer that Viktor/Yuuri might actually happen - and it did! Episode 7 of the show was flawless and beautiful - this is how it's done! And "something round and golden" in Episode 10 cemented it. Born to make history? Why yes, thank you!
- because we get to watch the growth of a relationship that is heartwarming and healthy. In a sports anime of all genres. Many anime shows only know 2 variations of romance: it either happens on the sidelines while the focus is on something else or it's INSTANT SOULMATES/STARCROSSED LOVERS who are kept apart by plot devices. While this works perfectly for characters in their teens or late teens, it would have been awkward for characters that are older than that. Thankfully, Viktor and Yuuri are given the time to go from teasing flirting to easy cameraderie to deep adoration and finally, to love. And it happens so naturally that NO ONE says anything about or against it! Everybody sees it happening and its OKAY.
- because the show manages to keep the focus on the sport regardless. Yes, the romance happens. Yes, it is epic. Yes, it is the heart of the show, but it doesn't push everything else into the background. It's more the opposite. Their sport is still their focus, time is still their worst enemy and these things don't vanish because of heart eyes and The Kiss (™).
- because while the epic romance happens between the "older" characters, underage characters like Yurio are not sexualized IN ANY WAY. He is fifteen, people. Basically a baby! And while many anime shows have no problem throwing around fan service of characters that age, here it doesn't happen. Even though the theme of his skating routines is "agape" (unconditional love), he associates it with his love for his grandfather.
- because the show incorporates social media in a non-obnoxious way***. Especially Youtube (the video of Yuuri skating Viktors routine kickstarts the story) and Twitter (Viktor, Phichit, GuangHong, JJ and Leo) are a part of the show right from the start and show how the skaters from all over the world stay in contact and what they do outside of ice rinks.
- because the animation is a thing of beauty. It really is. A ton of work was put into the skating animation alone, it is fluid, elegant and beautiful to watch. The costume design is also a thing to behold.
- because every episode is better than the last. I KID YOU NOT. Every episode strives to outshine the one before and the team behind the show manages to pull it off every god damn week. The "OH MY GOD!!" moments - no matter if those are connected to skating performances or the adorable Yuuri/Viktor moments - are always perfectly timed and you can almost hear the Y!!OI - team cackle in the background because yes, the did it. AGAIN.
- ***because life imitates art. Almost all of the ice skaters in the show (with the exception of Minami) are based on real ice skaters - and those real skaters in question figured it out! And not only that: several of them are big fans of the show and frequently post on Twitter about it having a ton of fun. Full circle, anyone?
- because the Yuri!!! On Ice fanbase is the BEST. I have rarely come across a fandom that was so peaceful, friendly and TALENTED. The art inspired by this show is wonderful! My favorite artist by far is me-za-me-ro on tumblr, she is awesome and I would love to see the show in her artstyle!
♫ I mean look at these two assholes aaaah ♫
- BECAUSE THE MAKERS OF Y!!!OI are freaking geniuses who delivered a hilarious plot twist 10 episodes into a 12 - Episode show and THE FANDOM ISNT EVEN MAD, NO, EVERYBODY LOVES IT HOLY SHIT
I could go on and on, but I won't. All I can say is: if you are so DONE with 2016 and all the unnecessary bullshit we had to go through all year, watch this show. You will not regret it.
Girls and Panzer and Voltron O_o
So. Like I said, I don't really have much time for modding at the moment because of real life stuff - also my health isn't at it's best at the moment, so whenever I have time, I try to relax and kick back ... and watch stupid stuff on the internets. ARGH. I have been out of the anime scene/fandom/whatever for YEARS and now...
I am still not into the drama stuff - and the endless "I NEED TO GET STRONGERRRRR" anime a la Naruto, Bleach, One Piece et cetera do not really catch my interest at all. But every now and then I stumble across small gems that I absolutely ADORE. One of those?
What is it about? Well - it takes place in a slightly altered universe, where everything is the same, with one exception: tank battle (called sensha-do) is a respected sport - and the tanks are piloted by women/girls only!
What at first glance sounds like a simple vehicle for fan service is really anything but. It is a funny, action packed and well thought out 12 episode series full of adorable characters and awesome tank battle.
Every tank is piloted/maintained by a team ranging from 3 to 6 team members. In the end, the sensha-do club of the high school the series takes place at consists of 9 (!!) teams - and you will get to know all the characters XD
Also: since almost all the tanks used in the show are from the WW2 era, the "tank lingo" the girls use is peppered with hilarious German words here and there.
The series follows the course of many sports anime - team bonding, tournaments that have to be won etc. But DAMN, it is so funny and so much attention was put into the details!
The best part? All of the (sometimes hilarious) stunts the girls pull of while piloting the tanks can be done in real life (even a wheelie XD) - the production team of the show tested that out beforehand. PANZER VOR!
I... admit it. I binge watched Dreamwork's Voltron remake on Netflix. And... it is really good? The animation was done by the Avatar/Korra team, which you can clearly see - and I really like it! Of corse there are the typical "ewww, US animators trying to make anime, disgusting" posts floating around the internet, but you know what? Screw those, the result is awesome! The way the original Voltron characters and story are portrayed here is funny and heartwarming. I especially like the new Allura, she is gorgeous and kicks butt! There is not a single character in the remake that I do not like, which is rare.
The remake might not have the sometimes weird sense of humor the original had, but especially the character design of Keith (the mullet! the outfit!) is more than just a nod to the 80s designs from way back when.
And now, after wat ching all the episodes, I have questions. For example: how and when did Keith and Shiro meet before the beginning of the show? They clearly knew each other beforehand and were really close?
Also: I am all for the "XY is an alien" theory after seeing the last episode of season 1. And now I want season 2. Is it there yet?
I was asked if I watch anime and if so, which ones. Hoooo boy XDD
I have to say I am no longer active in the anime fandom/scene (which indicates that once upon a time I was active. Truth xD) so I am not up to date. But I do watch anime still whenever I feel like it and there are certain ones I still remember fondly and love a lot. Now. Let's see.
✿ What kind of anime (genre etc) do I prefer?
I am not really sticking to a genre, although I like fantasy and sci-fi settings very much.
Most important factor:
HUMOR. If the stuff takes itself too seriously, I am out. I no longer have the nerve to watch characters cry several times per episode or being psychologically masacred.
Any special preferences?
Girls/women kicking the shit out of stuff. YASS.
✿ All time favorite anime and why?
1. Tokyo Majin (anime, not the game)
Why? Because in spite of all the gore and fighting that is happening, it has a nice story and an open ending that still leaves you with a smile.
Also:Tatsuma and Kyouichi.(!!)
There was no slashy or queerbait-y stuff happening, they just insta-jumped from "Imma fight yoo!" to old married couple. In the very first episode. And from that point on they are basically inseperable and whenever Tatsuma is not in his line of sight you can see Kyouichi look for him in the background or hear him call Tatsuya`s name from offscreen XD
2. EL HAZARD!! (the original, not the remake, boo)
Why? Because it is an oldschool fantasy anime with hilarious characters and a great story. I remember watching the entire anime in one night XD Aww, good times.
3. Strike Witches (YES, I ADMIT IT!!)
Why? Because it is awesome, the end. ... Ok. I know that most people only see this show as a vehicle for panty shot - fanservice, but if you can look past that, you get a great, funny, innovative show in an AU World War II setting. Also: the soundtrack (score) is epic.
4. Bubblegum Crisis (Again, the original, although the remake is not that terrible)
The mother of all cyberpunk anime shows. THE END.
✿ Which anime am I currently watching?
None, but I just finished binge-watching all three seasons of Symphogear a few days ago *-* Sure, the seasons only have 12 (13) episodes each, but stilll. SO GOOD!
✿ What did I like about it?
1. See special preferences: girls kicking the shit out of stuff. With style.
2. And doing it without magical brooches or overly frilly costumes. ARMOR FTW!
3. No over sexualisation and not too much fanservice.
4. Lots of explosions.
Music: I LOVE Jon McLaughlin. THE END.
I have been IN LOVE with Jon McLaughlin's voice ever since I heard his song "Indiana" for the first time a looong time ago. His very first album was gold, the second not so much, but GOD DAMN that man can play the piano and sing like there's no tomorrow. He is one of the few singers out there who sounds SO much better live than on record or in a studio. HOLY CRAP.
He does stuff like this...
He also does the occasional, fantastic cover like this...
With all the crowd singing along because people are awesome.
He goes and does THIS.
Music: Right in the childhood
I recently had the chance to play Mario 3d world at a friends place - and lo and behold, the soundtrack of the very last level "Champions Road" is a remix of the wonderful Gusty Garden
Galaxy theme!!! Ah, the nostalgia :)
Also: CHAMIONS ROAD OH MY GOD KILL ME
That level may be "super hard but never unfair" - but oh god, I wanted to destroy ALL THE BEEP BLOCKS like a mad person. Forget hidden coin blocks, beep blocks are the new evil. RAAAH.
Fangirlisms - TV Shows
I was asked what kind of TV shows I watch, hehe XD Well. Let me say it like this…
- I am highly amused by BBC’s Sherlock because WHO ISN’T. I love it because reasons. This of cause has absolutely nothing to do with hedgehogs.
- I cackled like a mad person about the Hawaii 5-0 Reboot, at least the first 2 seasons. LOVE.
- I smile with glee about BBC’s Musketeers, because the show wants to be badass but ends up being cute instead.
my fangirl heart breaks for HANNIBAL,
because murder husbands ftw! I love the first season but haven’t dared to watch season 2 yet. I am not ready for that bloody divorce yet. EAT THE RUDE!
I died laughing watching the first 2 seasons of Teen Wolf, because it never took itself
seriously and generaly is a lot of fun. Also: GREENBERG!
- once upon a time I watched Supernatural, but after the umptieth, non-permanent main character death the joke fell flat.
- I adored the very first, original season of Primeval, because STEPHEN AND THE DODOS! So much love. Remakes are evil.
I shall update this as I see fit.
Music - Trailer Music ftw!
I always have been a huge fan of trailer music, even back in the day whemn most people didn't even know what it was. I still remember the release of Requiem for a Dream/Lux Aeterna and people
going all "OMG trailers have cool music what is that" XD Aw, that was long ago. Good times.
I do like the occasional TSFH, Thomas Bergersen, Audiomachine, Immediate Music, Corner Stone Cues etc etc.
Fangirlisms - The occasional tumblr find
- dad: oh god it's starting shut up i've been waiting for this for months
- (movie starts)
- dad: THESE ARE THE BICEPS OF FREEDOM
- dad: i don't know what's happening but the french guy fighting cap looks like french macklemore
- me: how do you even know who macklemore is?
- dad: i'm hip. i'm cool
- me: don't you do it
- dad: i'm gonna pop some tags, only got 20 baguettes in my pocket
- (five minutes later)
- dad: is that the Falcon? that's totally the Falcon
- me: how do you know?
- dad: i used to read the comic books trust me on this i'm an expert. his superpower was that he could talk to birds
- me: birds?
- dad: i mean in hindsight it probably wasn't the most useful thing ever
- dad: if this winter soldier is supposedly a ghost in the machine that nobody's ever seen, and nobody will ever catch, you would think showing up in broad daylight and blowing up cars would not be his modus operandi
- dad: how the heck did he laser through concrete??
- me: idk dad it's nick fury he can probably do whatever he wants
- dad: i'm sorry attractive nurse who just so happens to live next door, my heart belongs to a seventy year russian dude with a bionic arm
- me: what
- dad: nick fury isn't dead. justice never dies. he probably has a billion clones in some top secret storage facility, just waiting for their organ harvest.
- me: ew dad gross no
- dad: i really relate to that apple store employee
- me: we all do dad
- dad: oh that's that guy from the first movie! i remember him! he was my favorite, his eyes were so blue, and he loved steve so much. i wanted them to get together
- me: dad good god
- dad: he was a little less marilyn manson at that point though
- dad: not that guyliner isn't a good look for this guy
- dad: when a deadly russian assassin wears eyeliner, it's 'he's so dreamy' and 'wow what a badass'
- dad: but when i do it it's 'you're too old' and 'bald guys can't pull off make-up'
- me: dad it was halloween and it was one time you need to let this go
- dad: so bucky barnes, aka cute cocky guy who died in the first movie, aka steve roger's best friend/boyfriend, is a top secret super scary brainwashed hydra agent?
- me: mmm-hm
- dad: called it
- dad: do you think single handedly destroying jets is just a common, everyday thing for cap? punch a few tanks, feed a few pigeons, take out a plane, help old ladies cross the street...
- dad: captain america is like your grandad minus the booze and the cussing
- dad: in all honesty that was a little anti-climactic
- dad: i was 100% sure nick fury was gonna descend majestically from the heavens, 'All I do is Win' blaring in the background, and single-handedly save everyone's ass
- dad: scarjo and chris evans are two of the most beautiful people in the world and they are both in this movie and i don't know how to feel about it i have butterflies in my stomach i'm a schoolboy again
- me: you know on second thought we should have brought mom
- dad: where's hawkeye? where's bruce? where's tony? where's thor? WHERE ARE ALL THE OTHER AVENGERS AS THE ENTIRETY OF SHIELD IS COMPROMISED AND NICK FURY DIES
- me: maybe they figured steve could handle it
- dad: maybe they're all lazy assholes